Monday, January 23, 2012

Project #1

This project wasn't on the list I gave you last time.  This project is something that's been sitting next to my side of the bed for approximately 100 years.  I found a quote via a long trail of enthusiastic clicking that started on the Thinking Housewife and lead me to Out of Sleep.  When I read through the post one particular quote stood out and I decided I had to have it.  It's a quote from an article by Father Anthony Brankin:

“Beauty and ugliness flow naturally into the world from the content or emptiness of the soul.”


So here is step one and two.  Step three will comprise of actually finishing it and then framing it so someday my kids will like it so much they'll turn it into an heirloom.  A girl can hope, right?





 

 

 

 

I'm a complete novice when it comes to embroidery, by the way.  I've done a few things like the front of my wedding album, a purse or two and some pillowcases but I don't ever claim to actually now what I'm doing.

So if you've got any helpful hints or can see where I'm going wrong in the photos, let me know!

p.s. Take a look at William's blog.  There's a really cool photo of the fog that was taken from my office.

2 comments:

  1. You will love embroidering. My only two hints are: 1) Resist the temptation to use a thread that is too long--there really is a balance of length, so you don't have a tangle in the back or so much thread you keep having to deal with tangles, and 2) Get comfortable with basic stitches before you do French knots--it isn't that they are all that difficult, but they take more practice than regular stitches. See if this is helpful: http://www.pintangle.com/journal/2010/2/9/a-free-hand-embroidery-stitch-guide-to-download.html

    You might also try cross-stitching, which can turn out some really lovely things.

    You're going to love this--needlework is such a lovely skill to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far, I do love it. It's nice and repetitive and the evidence of your productivity is right in front of you. :) Also, I love the embroidery stitch link! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for writing!